Photo: J. K. Stromstedt-Allen
Characteristics: Fixed, white light.
Height: 86 feet, 98 steps
DayMark: White-washed conical brick tower with a black lantern
History: Constructed 1847. First Lighted January 15, 1848. On National Register Listing. Deactivated: December 1, 1969. Restored in 1989-91.
Lens: Original: Thirteen Lewis patent lamps with 21-inch reflectors (1847-1858); Winslow Lewis 1847. Present: third-order fixed Fresnel lens (1859). Focal Plane: 91 feet (originally 67 feet).
Construction: Architect: Smith, Keeney and Hollowday Co. Builder: Duncan Cameron. Conical masonry tower constructed of brick, granite and iron.
Other Buildings: Keeper's dwelling, privy, oil storage house, chicken coop.
Operated by: Key West Art & Historical Society
Visit Status: Open to Public
Days Open: Open daily
Facilities: Museum, Gift Shop, handicap accessible
Hours Open: 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
Visitor Info: Admission includes restored keeper’s dwelling with museum, and displays of several Fresnel lenses, including the first-order fixed lens from the Sombrero Reef Lighthouse.
Key West Art & Historical Society, Inc.
938 Whitehead Street
Key West, FL 33040
Back to Lighthouse List>